My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://celisedowns.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

21 January 2006

Teen Chicklit 101

I'm taking this online teenchicklit class (see "Snobsdale" post, date 29 Dec 05) taught by Lauren Barnholdt, there's required reading (Gossip Girl #1 and Bras and Broomsticks) that will be discussed later, and homework (10 pages every Wednesday). We turned in our first 10 pages on the 18th and I gave her some background on the series, why I was doing it, and the fact that I was dedicating it to my niece--as well as using her physical and personality traits to create the main character. She returned my 10 pages yesterday and this is what she had to say:

I'm attaching your pages back to you. (I like them double spaced, so I just made a new document.) My comments are on the pages, a little bit of tightening and streamlining, a little more showing and not telling (I've always had a problem with this). You'll see what I mean from the marks on the document.

I LOVE the concept of this. I think it's so cool. (I'm not sure if Itold you this before, but Alias is one of my favorite shows, and thisis kind of like YA Alias.) It's very well-written, too. You have a great sense of description, and while I don't usually like prologues (and usually advocate cutting them) yours is great. It starts the book off on a great suspenseful note. I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Praise the Lord, Hallelujah, Pass the Biscuits! After the few days I've had (see "Doubting Celise" post, dated 20 Jan 06) I really needed to read something posititve like that. Lauren also happens to be a junior agent (not sure what that entails) at the Firebrand Literary Agency, so it was doubly nice.

posted by GeminiWisdom @ 10:55 AM |

1 comments

<< Home