My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://celisedowns.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

09 October 2006

Writing Fiend

Did you know that November is National Novel Writing Month? No? Well, now you do. It also involves the challenge of writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days: a.k.a. NaNoWriMo. This is the 4th year for this event and for the first time--EVER--I'm going to participate next month. Not only will you be seeing "Going Traditional" entries (see Going Traditional post), you will also be seeing posts of my NaNoWriMo progress.

For the record, "me" and "structured writing routine" have never gone very well together in the same sentence. I tend to have what are called "writing movements" ( a SARK method of getting things done) and that seems to work well for me. However, I've come to this realization: should a publisher become interested in my teen series, they'll want to publish each book within 6 months to a year. I think. If I can crank out something within a month, I figure I'll have a few months to polish it. I plan to start writing Book Two of the DA series next month and I perfectly understand that it won't be, well, perfect. In fact, by the time the 30th rolls around, it's going to be utter crap. 50,000 words will be a jumping off point. If I can do this, then I can do deadlines.

I won't win any money.

I won't get agent representation.

I won't get a publishing contract.

What do you get, you make ask? Your name added to their Winner's page, a "handsome" certificate, a web icon....and the knowledge that you've written a 50,000 word novel. It's not as easy as it sounds. For reals.

So, for those of you that are planning on taking part in this challenge next month, please add me to your buddy list: geminiwisdom. We'll pull our hair out and completely ignore our husbands/boyfriends/companions together.
posted by GeminiWisdom @ 9:25 AM |

3 comments

<< Home