My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://celisedowns.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

02 April 2007

Movie Queue: 'Blades of Glory'

Starring: Will Ferrell, Jon Heder, Craig T. Nelson









It feels like forever since I've done a movie review. I've been seeing them, though. I thought I might mix it up (I know I'm getting tired of posting all those damn rejection letters) and throw some "good times" up in here.

The hubby and I went to see this on Saturday and we laffed our asses off. For anyone that's been reading me for a while, you know that I love ice skating. LOVE. IT. Tried it myself, hated it, but love watching it. I'm glued to my T.V. during the Winter Olympics and I'm home on Sundays during the winter when they show the competitions in between.

I had to see this movie.

Chazz Michael Michaels (Ferrell) and James "Jimmy" MacElroy (Heder) are rival male ice skaters. Chazz is the rebel-break-all-the-rules-showboat skater who's an admitted sex addict (one of the many hilarious scenes includes him hitting on Nancy Kerrigan). Jimmy is the total opposite: perfectionist-by-the-book skater who's fashion sense tends to lean towards more...er...girly colors. When they get into a scuffle on the podium during a medal ceremony at a competition, the skating "tribunal" (which consisted of such skating greats as Dorothy Hamill, Brian Boitano, Nancy Kerrigan, and Peggy Fleming)bans them from skating for the rest of their lives.

Until a Jimmy MacElroy stalker (who's "getting tired of stalking a has-been celebrity") finds a loophole 3 yrs later: they're only banned from male singles skating, not pairs.

What ensues, of course, is massive stomach cramps and aching cheek muscles from laffing so damn hard. Something like this would never happen in the skating world in real life. If it did, Rudy Galindo and Brian Boitano would've jumped on it a long time ago. It was an interesting take on pairs skating and brought up a good question about the rules for pairs skating and the sex of the pairs:

How receptive would people be to a male/male or even female/female pairs skating team?

BONUS MOMENT: Olympic skater Sasha Cohen catching Chazz's jockstrap and then gleefully sniffing it before screaming, "I LOVE YOU CHAZZ!"

Review: 4 Snaps Up

Labels:

posted by GeminiWisdom @ 6:20 PM |

0 comments

<< Home