My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://celisedowns.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

29 March 2006

Sir Tom

In the Yahoo headlines today "Singer Tom Jones is Knighted".

The 65-year-old singer, a coal miner's son from the Welsh town of Pontypridd, received the honor from the queen at Buckingham Palace.
Jones said he had met the British monarch "six or seven times, maybe more," starting with a royal charity performance in 1966.

"I love seeing the queen and I have always been a royalist," Jones said after the investiture. "She is lovely and she still is lovely."

The big-voiced belter, who was accompanied by his son, daughter and granddaughter, said receiving the knighthood was "just tremendous."

Born Thomas Jones Woodward, Jones began his singing career at age 3. His string of hits started with "It's Not Unusual" in 1965, and includes "What's New, Pussycat?," "Green, Green Grass of Home," "Help Yourself," "She's a Lady," and "Never Fall in Love Again,"...not to mention a heinous version of Prince's "Kiss".

Okay, I can understand why Sean Connery was knighted. I mean really, for 6 movies his motto was "for Queen and country". And Anthony Hopkins (that man is intense and a great actor). Still wondering about Elton John...but Tom Jones? I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around this. Back in the day, he apparently inspired panty-throwing frenzies, but now...whenever I think of this man, I picture The Carlton Dance. And if any of you watched that show, you know what I'm talking about.

So what does being a Knight entail? Do you have duties? Do you have to "represent" at meetings? Do you get a castle or a kingdom? What does it mean to your family? Do they now have special titles like Prince or Princess? Or is it just a title that gives you privilege to hang out wit the "big dogs"? I'm truly curious. If anyone knows..holla.
posted by GeminiWisdom @ 8:44 AM |

4 comments

<< Home