My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://celisedowns.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

27 March 2006

Illegal Woes

Disclaimer: This is my blog and I am allowed to state my opinion. If you don't like what I have to say, BE GONE.

It took me 45 minutes to get back to work on Friday. I'd eaten lunch with my sister at her office. She works 4 blocks from me. By the time I'd left to go back to work (10 mins early so I could punch in on time, mind you), police had blocked off some streets and a full-blown protest was in session. I must've been living under a rock the past few days because apparently, some politicos are trying to get an immigration law (bill?) passed that states any illegals caught coming over the border are to be seen as aggravated felons (in the news a couple of weeks ago, a driver and the illegals he'd been transporting were arrested and jailed). Some people of Hispanic descent didn't take that too kindly--15,000 people, to be exact--and decided to voice their opinion. But for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why they had to voice their discontent in my area of town, when I'm trying to get back to work. Well, lucky me, Senator Kyl's office is right down the street. He's Repbulican. Ergo, 15,000 angry Hispanic folk.

I don't follow politics, nor do I lean one way or the other. I'm what's called the Neutral Party. My name is Bennett and I'm not in it. This law/bill, I believe, will also block illegals from obtaining the same, I dunno, benefits? as everyone else (any AZ bloggers, please feel free to correct me on this, because as I said, I'm not into politics). If that's the case, I totally agree. Arizona butts up against Mexico. It only seems natural that we're going to get visitors from over there. We learn their language in school, businesses hire more bilingual people to accomodate the language barrier, they set up their little Mom and Pop stores and try to make a new life for themselves, pay their dues, etc. Fine. Whatever.

So don't get your Calvins in a crunch, cop a 'tude and scream holy hell when your people come over here illegally and instead of getting a new life handed to them on a silver platter, they get thrown in jail! And I say "your people" in the kindest way, because as everyone can see, I'm African-American and if I was talking about my race, I'd say the same thing. Let me point out a few things:

POINT ONE: You came over here illegally. They call it the "land of the free" because there's no evil dictatorship (although, some might think otherwise) cracking a whip over the peons and enforcing a nationwide curfew of 9:00pm. Not "land, and everything else, will be given to you for free."

POINT TWO: You came over here illegally, therefore you must've done something wrong in the place you left. Who're you running from? What did you do? Who did you kill? Who did you hurt? Who did you rob? If you've done nothing wrong, if you have nothing to hide, then you need to go through the right channels like everyone else.

POINT THREE: You were either living under a rock or, I dunno, maybe crossing that vast, bone-dry desert, but I'm pretty sure the whole friggin' world was watching when a couple of planes took out a couple of our towers.

You have no right to bitch because we're trying to COVER OUR ASSES. Do you think we're just going to let anyone cross over and welcome them with a hug and a back slap of congratulations for surviving the journey after that nightmare? How stupid do you think we are? How naive can you be? We know nothing about you. You could be a terrorist or a serial killer for all we know.

You have no right to cry unfairness when we would be treated the same way if we entered another state--or country--in the same way you entered ours.

I understand you're trying to make a better life for yourself and your kids. And it's apparent you can't do that where you're from. But there's this thing called protocol, see. And if you don't follow protocol, then you're going to get what's coming to you.

5 yrs ago, as a country, we were reminded that we had gotten sloppy. We had gotten lazy, lax, let our guard down and allowed anyone to come over and play. Outsiders took advantage of that and thousands of people paid for it with their lives. We're not about to make that same mistake again. This law/bill is stating, loud and clear, NO MORE. We're protecting our own now. You entered our territory illegally, therefore you must be a criminal. And until otherwise proven, you will be treated as such. I don't know why they didn't pass this law 5 yrs ago. It should be a no-brainer, really.

I have no sympathy for these people. None whatsoever. No matter what race--black, white, red, brown--I would feel the same way. You brought this on yourself. You need to understand why we're doing this now and why we're targeting you. You are no longer the cause, but the effect. And we're going to do what we have to do to keep others safe.

I sincerely hope that law/bill gets passed.

I'm done. I'm getting off my soapbox now. For the second time. Move along, nothing to see here. Go visit my renter while I calm down.
posted by GeminiWisdom @ 12:15 PM |

7 comments

<< Home